Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Battery Operated Plane

OKEGAWA, Japan (AFP) July 16, 2006- The world's first manned plane powered by conventional dry-cell batteries soared five meters (16 feet) above the ground in a demonstration flight. The glider-like plane with a single-seat gondola and a 31 meter (102 feet) wingspan was powered by 160 AA "Oxyride" batteries which have been produced by Japan's Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. since April 2004. It soared as high as 5.2 meters, stayed in the air for 59 seconds and covered a distance of 391 meters (428 yards) at a private airport owned by Honda Motor Co. Kamiya weighs 53 kilograms (117 pounds), almost as much as the plane itself. Sunday's flight was the first in the presence of officials from the Japan Aeronautic Association. "This was officially the world's first manned flight powered by dry-cell batteries," Zushi said. The Oxyride battery is a long-lasting battery said to be 1.5 times as powerful as a regular alkaline battery.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi i am fresh to this. I came accross this website I have found It positively useful & it has helped me loads. I should be able to contribute and support others like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Around

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm new on here, I came upon this chat board I have found It incredibly helpful & it's helped me loads. I hope to give something back & aid other people like its helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Later.